Minnesota Traffic Observatory
Main navigation |
ROAD - Roadway Online Application for Design
The calculation and design process of roadway geometry design are often cumbersome and time consuming. This online roadway geometry design tool was developed to assist students conducting the geometric design of roadways on computer screen using a contour map in the background as reference. This software tool will allow students to design the geometry of a roadway more efficiently and effectively. Furthermore, students have the option to visualize the final roadway design in a 3D virtual reality environment.
Assignment #1 - Prelimary Road Design
Assignment #2 - Highway Design
Map #1 - Contour map for assignment #1
Map #2 - Contour map for assignment #2
Map #5 - Sample contour map
Java plug-in is required on your browser.
Example #1 - Horizontal Design (ProjectA1simple.rdw), Vertical Design (ProjectA1simple1.vcw)
Example #2 - Horizontal Design (Project1D1.rdw), Vertical Design (Project1D1.vcw)
- Download the example zip files and unzip them in a folder.
- Run the ROAD application from a web browser.
- Use "File->Open Design" and select a horizontal curve file (eg. ProjectA1simple.rdw) to load the horizontal design.
- Use the last icon from the horizontal geometry design tool bar to open vertical curve design window.
- Use "File->Load Vertical Curve" and select a vertical curve file (eg. ProjectA1simple1.vcw) to load vertical curve design.
- Please refer to ROAD Online Document for further instructions.
Student Background Survey
ROAD Evaluation Survey
Cosmo VRML Plugin
ROAD VRML Demo, Need VRML Plugin installed on your browser.